The healthcare GPO business model is not unique, but there are frequent questions regarding the basics of how a GPO works. These documents--factual and historical--help paint a clear picture of GPOs.
The links below provide access to basic information on GPOs, the various business models, administrative fees, and safe harbor.
- HISCI Educational Module: Driving GPO Contracts
- A Primer on GPOs
- Understanding Administrative Fees
- Understanding the Safe Harbor Provision
- Group Purchasing: An Examination of the Growing Group Purchasing Model Across Multiple Industries
- Additional studies on GPOs
Interested in contracting with a GPO? The Healthcare Supply Chain Association provides additional information on Group Purchasing Organizations, including a list GPOs. HSCA even has a special program for small suppliers. For a list of participating GPOs, visit the HSCA Small Supplier Portal. This portal provides an opportunity for small healthcare suppliers not yet contracting with a GPO to reach out to HSCA member organizations through their individual websites to share information about their company and their new and innovative products.